Mississippi Stud: How to Play and Winning Strategies
Mississippi Stud is a popular, fast-paced online poker game. People love this game because of the big chances to win and the amazing return to player (RTP). Let’s start understanding this fun table game with some terms to know before playing.
Poker Rooms with Mississippi Stud
Supplies You Need to Play
Playing online poker is the easiest way to play as there is always someone around to play. All you need is a computer or mobile device and some sort of connection to the internet. If you want to play with friends or family, all you need is a dealer, some chips and a deck of cards.
How to Play the Game
Mississippi Stud is pretty straight forward. The players will ante up and the dealer will give each player two cards face down. They will then deal three community cards face down. The player is allowed to look at their cards.
Next, the players will place their 3rd Street Bets, also known as, the first betting round. The dealer will then show the first community card. The players will then place their 4th Street Bets and the dealer will go on to reveal another community card.
Finally, the players will place their 5th Street Bets or the final bet and the dealer will uncover the last community card. Then all players will reveal their cards and the best hand wins.
Hands That Win
|#1||Royal Flush||A straight from 10 to Ace, all the same suit.|
|#2||Straight Flush||Any cards in consecutive order that are all the same suit.|
|#3||Four of a Kind||Four of the same card.|
|#4||Full House||One pair and three of the same card.|
|#5||Flush||All cards are the same suit.|
|#6||Straight||Cards are in consecutive order.|
|#7||Three of a Kind||Three of the same card.|
|#8||Two Pairs||One pair of one card and one pair of another card.|
|#9||Pair of Jacks or Better||Two Jacks, two Queens, two Kings or two Aces.|
|#10||Pairs of 6s-10s||Two of 6s to 10s.|
|#11||Anything else||Any other combination of cards.|
Mississippi Stud Payout
|Royal Flush||500 to 1|
|Straight Flush||100 to 1|
|Four of a Kind||40 to 1|
|Full House||10 to 1|
|Flush||6 to 1|
|Straight||4 to 1|
|Three of a Kind||3 to 1|
|Two Pairs||2 to 1|
|Pair of Jacks or Better||1 to 1|
|Pair of 6s through 10s||Push|
Mississippi Stud does have a little bonus – it’s an extra game that allows players to bet on a three-card bonus. This is pretty much a side bet on the community cards creating a certain 3 card hand. The following are the hands where bonuses can be allotted.
|#1||Straight Flush||Any cards in consecutive order that are all of the same suit.|
|#2||Three of a Kind||Three of the same card.|
|#3||Straight||Cards are in consecutive order.|
|#4||Flush||All cards are the same suit.|
|#5||Pair||Two of the same card.|
Strategies to Help You Win
There is a basic strategy to follow to help players master and win Mississippi Stud.
High card: Jacks, Queens, Kings and Aces – these cards carry a value of 2 points.
Middle card: 6s, 7s, 8s, 9s, and 10s – these cards carry a value of 1 point.
Low card: 2s, 3s, 4s, and 5s – these cards carry a value of 0 points.
The first round of betting in Mississippi Stud.
- Bet 3x on 3rd street with any pair, with any hand valued at 2 points or higher (one high card; two middle cards), or with exactly 5-6 suited
- Fold everything else
The second round of betting in Mississippi Stud.
- Bet 3x on 4th street with any payable hand (one pair of 6s or better, or with any Royal Flush draw
- Bet 3x on 4th street with any straight flush draw containing zero gaps AND ranked 5-6-7 or better
- Bet 3x on 4th street with any straight flush draw containing one gap AND at least one high card
- Bet 3x on 4th street with any straight flush draw containing two gaps AND at least two high cards
- Bet 1x on 4th street with any other three suited cards, street with any low pair (5s or worse), or with any hand worth at least 3 points
- Bet 1x on 4th street with any straight draw containing zero gaps AND ranked 4-5-6 or better
- Bet 1x on 4th street with any straight draw containing one gap AND two middle cards
- Fold everything else
The final round of betting in Mississippi Stud.
- Bet 3x on 5th street with any payable hand, or with any four-card flush draw
- Bet 3x on 5th street with any four-card open-ended straight draw ranked 8-high or better (5-6-7-8, 10-J-Q-K, etc.)
- Bet 1x on 5th street with any other straight draw, with any low pair, or with any hand worth at least 4 points
- Bet 1x on 5th street with three middle cards AND a previous bet of 3x made on any earlier street
- Fold everything else
It’s also a great idea to play Mississippi Stud for free until you’ve pretty much mastered the basic strategy. It looks like a lot, but is very easy to learn and remember, especially as you continue to play.
Important Terms to Know
3rd Street Bet: The first bet placed by players on the three community cards. Must be 1x – 3x the ante.
4th Street Bet: The second bet placed on the remaining two community cards. Must be 1x – 3x the ante.
5th Street Bet: The last bet placed on the one remaining community card. Must be 1x – 3x the ante.
A Strategic Game with Big Results
Mississippi Stud is a game of strategy that takes a little bit of time to really master, however, once you’re an expert, you’re on your way to great games and potentially big payouts! Good luck!
Be a Poker Variant Master
Mississippi stud has now become a second nature to you. Learn how to play more variants to dominate more online rooms!
Frequently Asked Questions
Stud poker is played with two private cards and three community cards. Draw poker is whichever number of cards the player receives are completely private until the showdown.
Mississippi stud is the latest stud poker game to come about.
The 3 Card Bonus basically goes as follows: if the player has placed a bet on the 3 Card Bonus and folds, the dealer will remove the original stud wager(s) and tuck the folded cards under the player’s 3 Card Bonus bet. Players win with at least a pair or better.